Books

The autograph of the patriarch, a letter to Lenin, a heavy book. What can the exhibits tell about

Written by admin

The State Archives of the Ulyanovsk Region celebrated the 190th anniversary of the formation of the Simbirsk Diocese with the opening of the exhibition “Diocesan Chronicle”. The exposition includes over two hundred documentary materials. “Narodnaya Gazeta” visited the exhibition and selected the five most, in our opinion, unique.

As a future saint he wrote a letter to Lenin

A unique document of the exhibition is a letter from Neofit Porfiryevich Lyubimov, who was later canonized. When this document was written, a report on the shortcomings of teaching singing in the four senior classes of the school, the priest taught Russian language and history at the Simbirsk Diocesan Women’s School. In 1902 (or 1903) he was appointed rector of the Church of the Resurrection of the Word at the Vagankovsky Cemetery in Moscow. A few years before his martyrdom, Archpriest Neophyte became rector of the Church of St. Spyridon of Trimifunt in Moscow. With the arrival of the Bolsheviks, persecution began. In May 1918, the son-in-law of Archpriest Neophyte, Orthodox missionary Nikolai Yurievich Varzhansky, was arrested. Father Neophyte wrote a letter to Lenin asking to release Varzhansky, reminding him that he had served in Simbirsk with Lenin’s father and was his sister’s teacher, but received no answer. On July 21, 1918, the father held a memorial service in the church “for the murdered newly installed former Tsar Nicholas.” On the same day, he was arrested by the Cheka. Father Neophyte was accused of “agitation against the Soviet government”, that he “served a memorial service for the anointed of God Nikolai Romanov.” On September 17, 1918, he was sentenced to death. His body is buried in Kalitnikov Cemetery, but where exactly is unknown. Martyr Neophyte Lyubimov was canonized in August 2000 at the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Metric book weighing 18 kilograms

The largest book presented at the exhibition weighs about 18 kilograms. According to archivist Anton Shabalkin, these are metric books collected in 1839 from all the churches in the town of Alatyr and the Alatyr district.

The exposition also includes a metric book with a record of the marriage of Prince Sergei Mikhailovich Baratayev – the grandson of the one who led the construction of the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Simbirsk. Another metric book is about the birth and baptism of the future artist Dmitry Arkhangelsky in the Germanovsky Church.

Another metric book of St. Nicholas Church has a record of his death on September 23
1906 of the Simbirsk governor, Major General Konstantin Starynkevich. And he entered the administration of the province on July 27, 1906. In the conditions of the revolutionary crisis, Starynkevich made attempts at decisive action. For example, on September 20, 1906, he addressed the attitude to Bishop Gury of Simbirsk and Syzran regarding the revolutionary activities of the priest of the village of Izmailovka, Sengiley district. As a result, on September 21, 1906, Governor Starynkevich became the object of a terrorist act when he left his state house for the provincial presence. He died on September 23 from fatal wounds.

What can the project of the cathedral tell about?

The central window of the exhibition presents a huge drawing of the project of architect Nikolai Alexandrovich Rosetti for the reconstruction of the Savior-Ascension Cathedral, which was located at the intersection of Moskovskaya and Bolshaya Saratovskaya streets (today Lenin and Goncharova streets). The project was ready by January 1900. And by 1903, a grand temple was built on it in the so-called Russian style of red brick. If you look closely, you can even see the clockwork on the bell tower in the drawing. These are the most famous clocks that are now counting down the time on the turret of Goncharov’s house. In 1869 they were installed on the bell tower of the cathedral, it was a gift to the city from Count Vladimir Orlov-Davydov in memory of his deceased son – the former governor of Siberia.

By the way, the parishioner of the Savior-Ascension Cathedral was Andrei Ilyich Ogorodnikov, who lived nearby on Panskaya Street (now Engels) – the heavenly patron of the city and the patron saint of Simbirsk. In this church he confessed and received communion weekly with his priest, the priest Vasily of Arkhangelsk, and in this cathedral at the end of 1841 he was buried.

The Savior-Ascension Cathedral was revered by many. Famous Simbirsans such as Nikolai and Peter Yazykov and Ivan Goncharov were baptized here.

Diocesan educational institutions

A separate window of the exposition is dedicated to the educational institutions of the diocese. First of all – Simbirsk Theological Seminary. The building of the seminary on Goncharova Street at number 30 has survived. The rules according to which the pupils lived are kept in the archive. At the exhibition you can see the certificate of graduation of the seminary of Vasily Stepanovich Rozov – the father of the famous archdeacon Konstantin Rozov – and the request of the seminary graduate artist Dmitry Arkhangelsky to give him the opportunity to teach drawing and painting at the seminary. Another of our outstanding artists, Arkady Alexandrovich Plastov, also studied at the seminary. The exposition presents a list for 1909/1910, where there are records about him.

For the first time, the archive shows samples of black cloth from the cabinet and knee pads for sewing coats with trousers to state-funded students of the Simbirsk Theological Seminary (who studied at public expense).

By the way, the girls studied at the Simbirsk Diocesan Women’s School. This building now houses a war veterans’ hospital.

The autograph of the patriarch

The exposition also includes the authentic autograph of Patriarch Sergius. According to the archivist, thanks to his evacuation in the military year of 1941 together with the Moscow Patriarchate to Ulyanovsk managed to save the only functioning in the city Resurrection Church, located in the old cemetery, where they planned to place a granary. However, at that time Metropolitan Sergius (Stragorodsky) was the guardian of the patriarchal throne. The Metropolitan performed his first service on the Ulyanovsk land on October 26, 1941 in the Church of the Resurrection of Christ.

The decision of the 82nd special meeting of the executive committee of the Ulyanovsk City Council “On the location of church and sectarian centers evacuated from Moscow to Ulyanovsk” of November 9, 1941 is demonstrated for the first time in the same window. Metropolitan Sergius was able to return to Moscow only on August 31, 1943. Already on the eighth day of Metropolitan Sergius’ stay in the capital, the Council of Bishops was held, which elected him Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia.

The last section of the exposition covers the revival of the diocese since 1989. And this is a whole
the era of modern times.

About the author

admin

Leave a Comment